Services for New and Professional Writers
- Query letter review and revision
- Assistance in choosing, approaching, and obtaining a literary agent
- Learning what agents and publishers want right now
- Specialty advice for authors of science fiction, fantasy, horror, and other genre literature
- Revising and copy editing services
- Assistance in creating or joining a writer’s workshop
Life Coaching for Writers
Want to write, but work full-time? Take care of a family? BOTH?
Sound familiar? Whatever your situation, you may be wondering how to fit
writing into your busy world. If writing is your passion then let me help
you integrate it into your daily life, enjoy it, achieve success, and find
personal fulfillment. Can provide services such as organizing space for writing
in any size dwelling; meditation and affirmation advice for motivation and
creativity; managing your time and integrating loved ones into the process.
Fulfill your dream!
Life Coaching for Writers is available in person or by phone; reasonable rates; always a discount for seniors and active military.
I’ll be happy to speak to your writers’ group on a topic of your choice. I am a specialist in science fiction, fantasy, horror, short fiction, and poetry. I know the publishing industry inside out as an active professional writer and a retired literary agent. My basic speaking fee is $150, but will negotiate depending upon the situation. Outside of the Greater Los Angeles area and northern/coastal Orange County a mileage fee of 25 cents a mile will apply.
- How to get a literary agent
- Current needs of major publishers
- How to submit articles, short stories, and poetry to magazines, newspapers, and journals including online publications
- Instruction in special topics such as poetry, science fiction, and New Age writing
- Writing a winning query letter
- Getting started—where to begin?
- Motivation for writers
- and more!
I can help high school, college, and adult school students with the following skills:
- Studying more effectively
- A better understanding and completion of writing assignments
- English grammar, idiom, and sentence structure for English Language Learners
- Editing and proofreading for Masters’ Theses and Dissertations
*Tutoring services are NOT available to students of any college at which I am employed.
- 30 years as a professional writer, journalist, editor, and publicist
- 20 years in library acquisitions, reference, and publicity
- 15 years as a college instructor of English composition, literature, and creative writing
- 12 years in the publishing industry as a literary agent and manuscript evaluator
- AA, BA, and MA in English/Creative Writing
- “Denise is the best helper I got for my book. She is very knowledgeable
and her advice and information helped me a lot. She wrote a great query
letter for me, and she is really someone a writer can trust. I appreciate
the work she did for me a great deal.”
—Julliena Okah, Violinist, Author, Artist.
- “Denise's guidance helped me improve the pacing of my manuscript while
adding depth to both my characters and the plot. Her encouragement and
constructive critiques helped me become a better writer, and I apply what
she taught me to all of my work to achieve good pacing, well-developed
characters, and better depth.”
—Beth Dolgner, author of Ghost of a Threat, Everyday Voodoo, and other novels and nonfiction books.
- “Denise writes the best query letters I’ve ever seen!”
—Barbara Ardinger, Ph.D., author of Goddess Meditations, Secret Lives, and other novels and nonfiction books.
I refer clients to Barbara Ardinger, Ph.D., for editing when I am out of town or otherwise engaged. She gets my highest recommendation. Also recommended is F.J. Bergmann at Poemfactotum.com, who can help with editing, book design and publishing layout for self-publishers.